I trained initially as a “general orthopaedic and trauma surgeon” which meant I worked in NHS hospitals seeing in clinic and treating every orthopaedic problem from fractures to chronic wear and tear problems. I did a 6 month fellowship in spinal surgery at RNOH Stanmore and also a 3 month fellowship in shoulder and upper limb surgery at Sunnybrook Health Science Centre, University of Toronto. On becoming a Consultant I decided to specialise in shoulder and upper limb surgery and have specialised in shoulder and elbow for about 20 years now.
I became a Fellow of the British Elbow and Shoulder Society in 2002 and regularly attend upper limb academic meetings. I also have a busy medico legal practice.
The operations I now perform most frequently are:
- Subacromial decompression
- Shoulder stabilisation procedures
- Repair of rotator cuff
- Total and hemi (partial) shoulder replacement
- Elbow replacement
- Release of tennis elbow
- Excision of bursa/ganglion
- Operations on fractures which have failed to heal correctly (secondary repair)